Prepare a crunchy crust for the base (this recipe makes enough dough for two medium square disposable trays or one large one).
Crust Ingredients (using a 240 ml measuring cup):
2 1/2 cups regular flour
1 packet baking powder
200 g butter-flavored margarine or butter substitute
3 packets vanilla sugar, or 1 tbsp sugar + a dash of vanilla extract
Combine the ingredients into a crumbly dough (do not over-mix). Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
*The dough is not sweet (add sugar if you prefer)
The filling instructions below are only for half the amount of dough (one medium square disposable tray). If you will be using all of the dough in one large pan, double the amounts listed here.
100 g regular or curly halva
100-150 g ground walnuts
100 g ground peanuts
1 handful blanched almonds
1 handful sesame seeds
Kinneret Farm silan
Candied cherries to garnish
- Roll out half of the dough onto a sheet of baking paper, making a rectangle about the size of a medium sized disposable baking pan.
- Transfer the baking paper into the tray and arrange the dough to fit correctly. Spread the halva filling over the dough and then layer the regular or curly halva, walnuts, peanuts and almonds in that order.
- Preheat the oven and bake at 180°C until the top layer of walnuts and peanuts is brown.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with the sesame seeds and cherries. Drizzle silan over the entire cake and return it to the oven for 8 minutes to become firm.
- Once it is almost completely cooled, cut into squares and store in the refrigerator or freezer…delicious!