This looks like a rich chocolate cake, but the beautiful color actually comes from the silan, which also replaces the sugar. 2 tbsp cocoa give the cake its chocolatey flavor. If you want to make the cake richer, mix chocolate chips into the batter instead of just decorating the cake with them.
Makes 1 loaf pan.
425 g (1 1/4 cups) Kinneret Farm silan
120 ml (1/2 cup) oil
280 g (2 cups) flour
15 g (2 tbsp) cocoa powder
1 level tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
60 ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
For Topping (Optional):
1/2 cup chocolate chips
50 g (1/2 cup) pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Mix the eggs, silan and oil in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate, larger, bowl.
- Combine the two mixtures, then mix together in boiling water. If you are adding chocolate chips, stir them in until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan and spread chocolate chips and pecans over the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out dry with a few moist crumbs. Cool before serving.