Israeli strudel! The silan gives the apples a delicious deep flavor with a nod to local cuisine.
Makes 1 strudel.
6 sheets filo dough
100 g butter, melted
2 tbsp almonds, ground
3 apples, cut into cubes
30 g butter
1/2 cup (125 g) Kinneret Farm natural silan
A little cinnamon
1/3 cup small raisins
- Heat apples, butter and silan in a pan until the butter is melted. Season with a little cinnamon, add raisins and continue cooking for 5 minutes until the apples are slightly soft. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Brush the filo sheets with melted butter and lay them down overlapping each other. Sprinkle the ground almonds over the whole sheet and arrange the apple and silan filling in a line along the bottom third of the sheet. Fold the sheets over the filling roll.
- Cut into 3-4 cm servings, but do not slice apart completely. Lay out the roll on the baking pan. Spread with melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden-brown. Slice, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Replace the butter with coconut oil.