3 cups (380 g) whole wheat flour, type 6
3/4 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp Kinneret Farm all-natural silan (with no sugar added)
150 g unsweetened marzipan, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup (120 ml) lukewarm water
3/4 cup canola oil
14 high-quality Medjool dates (about 260 g, with pits)
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the remaining dough ingredients. Work it into a soft, pliable, non-sticky dough. Form it into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and leave it to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- Pit the dates, and cut each one lengthwise into 3 pieces. These will become the filling.
- Divide the dough into 4 or 5 parts. With a floured rolling pin, roll out each section on baking paper, until it is 2-3 mm thick.
- Cut the thin dough into 4×5 cm rectangles. Lay 2 of the cut date pieces along the wide edge of the rectangle. Tighten the dough around the dates, and roll it into a cigar shape. The dough is delicate and crumbly, but because the filling is solid you can just squeeze and roll the dough closed without worrying about it falling apart.
- Arrange the cigars in a tray on baking paper with a small amount of space between each one. Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C for 25 minutes, until they start to brown. They will become crispy when they start to cool after being removed from the oven. Transfer to a rack to cool completely and store in a sealed container after the cigars have completely cooled.