You may think of chicken breast as the least juicy part of the chicken, but combine it with sweet potato and a special crust, and you’ve got a delicacy that no one in the family will be able to resist. Sesame oil gives the lightly sweet dipping sauce a unique twist and adds an Asian flavor to the dish. The mini balls are especially fun served on a skewer alongside a bowl of dipping sauce and a whole lot of napkins.
Takes about 40 minutes to prepare, and 60 additional minutes to chill. Makes 6 servings.
Mini Chicken Ball Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into medium cubes
500 g ground chicken breast
1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Kinneret Farm silan
Salt and ground black pepper
Oil for deep frying
2 cups cornflakes, crushed in a food processor or roughly crumbled
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup Kinneret Farm silan
2 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the sweet potato cubes into a pot of boiling water and cook for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and transfer the sweet potato to a bowl. Mash them to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the chicken, mint, egg, breadcrumbs, olive oil, silan, salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes to the chicken and continue mixing until you have a consistent mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it into the refrigerator for 60 minutes to become firm and for the flavors to combine.
- Shape the mixture into spheres about the size of ping pong balls and coat them in the combined cornflakes and salt.
- Fry the balls in a pot with hot oil for about 3 minutes or until they turn golden. Transfer to a rack or let them drip before shaking off the excess oil.
- Heat all of the sauce ingredients in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Mix well and serve hot alongside the mini chicken balls.