The silan serves a double role here – as part of the marinade and in the coating that will be spread on the turkey before it is roasted in the oven. Because the turkey breast is split into two sections, we can coat each one with different flavors.
To make the marinade work as well as possible, put each piece of meat into a loaf pan so that it gets crowded in with the marinade.
Ingredients for 2 cuts of turkey breast, about 800 g each:
1.5 kg turkey breast, butterflied, cleaned and skinned
2 cups water
4 tbsp Kinneret Farm natural silan
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp sweet paprika
2 bay leaves
Glaze #1 Ingredients:
2 tbsp Kinneret Farm natural silan
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Tuscan spice mix (herbs, dried garlic, chili pepper)
Glaze #2 Ingredients:
2 tbsp Kinneret Farm silan
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp smooth mustard
2 tbsp mustard seed
- Combine the marinade ingredients. Place each piece of meat into a loaf pan and pour the marinade over them. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for a day. Turn the meat over a few times as it marinates.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator an hour before you plan to roast it, and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oven to 220°
- Mix the glaze ingredients in separate bowls.
- Spread one glaze over each piece of meat and put it onto the oven rack. Place a baking dish underneath to catch the dripping liquid. Fill the baking dish with 2 cups of water to create some steam and to prevent the liquid that drips into the pan from burning.
- Roast for 5 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 150°C and continue roasting for 45-50 minutes, until the meat is completely cooked – If pierced with a fork, the liquids should run clear.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Can be eaten hot or completely cooled and sliced as needed for sandwiches and salads. The pastrami lasts for up to a week in the refrigerator in a sealed container.