1 veal shoulder or beef fillet (ask your butcher to cut it open for stuffing)
300 g ground beef
100 g pine nuts or almonds, chopped
50 g raisins
2 tbsp breadcrumbs or matzo meal
1 handful parsley and cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black or white pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch of saffron
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2-3 hardboiled eggs (optional)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 pinch of saffron or turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon or ginger
1 cup wine
1/2 cup Kinneret Farm silan
1/4 cup oil
1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all of the stuffing ingredients, open the meat and fill its entire length. Place 2 or 3 hardboiled eggs lengthwise inside before closing the meat.
- Sew the meat shut with a needle and string, or wrap the string around it and tie.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients and massage some of the sauce into the meat. Place the meat in a pot with oil and brown it on all sides.
- Lower the heat and steam the meat for another 30 minutes before adding wine. Continue cooking until the meat is almost tender.
- Place the meat in a baking dish and pour over the sauce that remains in the pot. Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake until the meat is completely tender.
- Remove from the oven and let the meat cool before slicing.
- Serve each slice with some of the sauce.