1.5 kg bone-in beef short ribs, cut into 5 cm thick strips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup soy sauce
2 cups orange juice
1 tbsp oil
1 level tbsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and diced
1 lemongrass leaf, halved lengthwise
1 chili pepper, halved
1 level tsp black pepper
1 cup Kinneret Farm silan
1/2 cup pomegranate concentrate
Scallions, sliced into rings
Fresh chili pepper, sliced into thin rings
- Cut the meat into individual servings, and place in a deep baking pan.
- Place all sauce ingredients, except pomegranate concentrate and cornstarch, into a small pot and stir while heating. When the sugar and silan have melted, add the pomegranate concentrate and stir well. Let the sauce cool and pour it over the meat.
- Cover the pan with a layer of baking paper and a layer of aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2 hours before you plan to grill the meat, take it out of the refrigerator so that it reaches room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Roast in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Check that the meat is tender. If it still isn’t tender, continue cooking covered for approximately another half hour. If it is tender, remove the cover and roast for about 20 minutes, periodically basting the meat with the liquids from the pan.
- To make the sauce, strain the liquids from the pan into a small pot and bring to a boil. Dilute the cornstarch in a few tbsp of water and add some of that mixture into the pot, while stirring, in order to thicken the sauce. If the sauce still seems thin, add a little more watered cornstarch and bring back to a boil. Taste, and adjust the seasonings if necessary, then remove from the heat.
- To serve, place the meat slices on a serving tray, pour the sauce over them and garnish with scallions and chili.