Makes 6-8 servings
1 kg lamb sirloin
8 small turnips, well-scrubbed
1/2 cup chicken stock
Silan Marinade Ingredients:
4 tbsp Kinneret Farm silan
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
1 tbsp peppercorns, lightly crushed
1/2 tbsp Atlantic sea salt
4 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and spread it on the meat with a brush or your hands. Let the meat marinate for 6 hours in the refrigerator (although overnight is ideal). Save the remaining marinade for glazing after roasting.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator about an hour before roasting, so that it reaches room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 240°C.
- Place the turnips in a baking dish and pour the chicken stock over them. Put the baking dish on the lower rack of the oven.
- Place the meat on the higher rack of the oven and roast for about 15 minutes until browned. Turn the meat over, lower the heat to 180°C and roast for 15 minutes until the meat is done to medium.
- Remove the meat from the oven and brush it with the remaining silan mixture. Set the meat aside for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Leave the turnips in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve thin slices of meat with 2 soft turnips for each diner.
After removing the meat from the oven, add a few cubes of butter to the turnips and roast for another 15 minutes to enrich the taste. Try replacing the turnips with other root vegetables like sweet potatoes or Jerusalem artichokes, when in season.