8 slices of ossubuco, 4 cm thick
8 whole peeled carrots
2 heads of celery, cut into thick wedges
8 whole medium onions, peeled
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 bottle dry red wine
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1/2 cup olive oil for frying
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tbsp Kinneret Farm silan
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
- Prepare a wide pan and a large pot.
- Dredge the meat in flour, season with pepper and fry in olive oil with the onions, until meat has a brown crust on all sides.
- Place the meat and onions in a large pot and add the remaining vegetables, garlic, thyme and salt.
- Pour the bottle of wine into the pan that was used to fry the meat and add the bay leaves, tomato paste and silan. Mix well with the juices remaining in the pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour the heated liquid mixture over the meat and vegetables until they are almost entirely covered. If there is not enough liquid, add beef stock or boiling water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours.
The meat is ready when it begins to separate from the bone. About half an hour before the end of cooking time, check the level of liquid in the pot. If the liquid level is still high, remove the cover.