1 kg beef neck or shoulder, cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
1 bunch celery stalks, cut into large pieces
4 carrots, peeled
4 whole potatoes, peeled
2 celery heads
4 parsley roots
1 package (100 g) vacuum-packed peeled chestnuts
1 bunch parsley
1 tbsp beef bouillon paste
1 liter boiling water
1/2 bottle red wine
4 tbsp Kinneret Farm silan
Sweet paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot. Add the beef cubes and fry well on all sides until the beef turns from pink to gray. Remove it from the pot, and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the onion and celery stalks, and fry until transparent.
- Mix the boiling water, beef bouillon paste, wine, silan and seasonings in a bowl.
- Put the potatoes, celery heads, and parsley roots in the bottom of the pot, then layer the beef, carrots and chestnuts over them. Add the seasonings and wine. If needed, add water to cover the meat and vegetables. Lay the parsley leaves over the top. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and continue simmering uncovered for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve alongside white rice.